Connect to EE TV using an Ethernet cable
Get help on setting up your EE TV with a wired connection.
- Set up EE TV using an Ethernet cable
This guide will show you how to set up your EE TV for the first time (or after resetting your box) using a wired connection. Before you start, check:
- You've connected your EE TV box to your TV and aerial
- You've connected the power and turned it on
- You can see the WELCOME TO YOUR EE TV screen
If you'd like help with this, see our set up guide.
Connect your Ethernet cable
You might have done this already, but if not...
- Plug your Ethernet cable into the port shown on the back of your EE TV box
- Plug the other end of the cable into a spare yellow socket on your Bright Box
Connect your set top box
From your EE TV remote:
- Press OK
- Press OK to select Continue with Ethernet cable
- Your EE TV will connect to your Bright Box router and the Internet
- If a software update is available, choose UPDATE NOW - the update will download and install on your EE TV
- Once complete, you'll see a message showing that your EE TV is up to date - press OK on your remote to continue
Setting up your PIN and content locks
Next, we'll set up your EE TV PIN and content locks (parental controls).
- Using the number keypad on your remote, enter four digits - this will be your PIN so pick a number you'll remember, but that nobody could guess
- Now re-enter the same four digits
- Press OK to continue
- Next, you can set up content locks (your parental control options)
- To continue with content locked, press OK on your remote
- To switch off content locks, press the down arrow on your remote, and then OK
Looking for channels
- Your EE TV box will look for TV channels available in your area
- Once complete, press OK to continue
Select your recording mode
Your EE TV set top box has two recording modes.
- Replay - allows you to always go back to the start of programmes on your favourite channels - you'll also be able to record two programmes at the same time
- Pause, Rewind and Record - select continue without Replay if you'd like to be able to record up to four programmes at once
To select the option you want:
- Press OK to Continue with Replay, or press the down arrow and OK to continue without Replay (so you can record or watch up to four programmes at once)
- Use the right arrow to select if you'd like Replay on your channels to be available for 1 Day or 6, 12, 18 hours
- Select your favourite channels using the up and down arrows on your remote and then OK
- Once complete, press the down arrow on your remote to highlight CONTINUE then press OK
- You'll see the ALL DONE screen - press OK
- You'll get the option to play an introductory video. Select PLAY VIDEO to watch the video or choose NO THANKS to go to your EE TV menu.
Using EE TV and watching live TV
To watch live TV from your EE TV menu, press OK on your remote. Or use the up, down, OK and back buttons to move through the EE TV menu.
- Change my EE TV connection to wired (Ethernet)
If you've already set up your EE TV and would like to change settings from using a wireless connection to an Ethernet connection (to include using powerline adapters) our guide will show you how.
IMPORTANT: Simply connecting an Ethernet cable to your EE TV won't work. You'll also need to change your EE TV settings.
Connect your Ethernet cable
- Plug your Ethernet cable into the port shown on the EE TV box.
- Plug the other end of the cable into a spare yellow socket on your Bright Box.
Using powerline adapters? See our powerline adapters guide for more help.
Update your EE TV settings
Next, update NETWORK & CONNECTION settings. To do this:
- Press the MENU button on your EE TV remote.
- Press the up arrow on your remote (that's the one above OK) to highlight the top menu.
- Move over to TOOLS & HELP by pressing the right arrow on your remote.
- Press the down and right arrow to highlight SETTINGS and press OK.
- The settings screen will appear.
- Move right (using the right arrow) to NETWORK & CONNECTION.
- Press the down arrow and then OK to select Connect via ethernet.
TIP: If you get the message Please plug in your Ethernet cable to connect, check you've connected your EE TV to a yellow socket on your Bright Box router.
- Your EE TV will try to connect to the Internet via Ethernet.
- And confirm that You're now connected to the Internet via the ethernet cable.