Before you start
To connect using wireless, you'll need your router's wireless network name and wireless password. You'll find these printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of most routers, as seen in the example below.
It can also help to move close to your router while setting up the connection.
Connect to your router
To connect an iPhone to your router, follow the steps below:
- From the iPhone Home screen, tap Settings
- Tap WiFi
- A list of wireless networks will be shown in the network list
- If you can't see any wireless networks, try moving closer to your router and check it's turned on
- Tap to select your wireless network
- In the example below ours is 5GHz-EE-1a2b3c - you'll find yours printed on your router
- You'll be prompted to enter your password - this is your wireless password which you'll also find printed on your router
- Once you've finished entering your password, tap Join
- Your iPhone will connect to your router
- If you've entered the password correctly, a blue tick will appear next to your router
If you get an error, for example incorrect password
- Tap Dismiss and try again, checking you're entering your security key correctly. You'll need to enter the dash ( - ) if you have a Bright Box router.
- Restart your router and iPhone and then try to set up the connection again
Check connection is working
You can check if your connection is working by opening Safari and viewing a web page. To do this:
- Press the Home button on your iPhone
- Tap Safari
- Scroll up the page and enter a web address, e.g. ee.co.uk
- Tap Go
- The EE home page will load
If you're connected to your router, but are unable to view web pages, see one of our guides below to check if there's a problem with your broadband connection.
- Bright Box 2
- Bright Box 1
- Netgear router