Content Lock from EE can help to keep you and your children safe when online.
We have three settings - so you can choose exactly what level of security you'd like. All new accounts have Moderate applied by default.
Moderate – With the Moderate setting you have access to social networking sites but not 18-rated content in accordance with BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) guidelines.
Strict – This is the safe setting for the whole family. This setting filters the same 18-rated content in accordance with BBFC Guidelines, but also content that the BBFC would rate higher than 'PG' and other content that is not suitable for younger children including unmoderated social networking sites, chat and dating sites.
Off - With the Off setting you have access to the full internet, including 18-rated content.
If you try to access 18-rated content and Content Lock is not turned off, a blocking page will be displayed and you will need to complete a credit card age verification check using the online form to view the content.
Change or manage your settings
In My EE
You can easily change the Content Lock settings yourself by logging into My EE* – if you haven’t registered yet for My EE, get started today.
- click Device & usage in the menu then scroll down to Content Lock to change your settings
- if you are the account holder you will be able to turn Content Lock off
*Please note that changing your settings through My EE is for pay monthly customers only. The following methods can be used by both pay as you go and pay monthly users.
- you can change your Content Lock settings to Strict or Moderate, by texting the word Strict or Moderate to 879
- if you have a 4GEE WiFi device, you can send a text from your 4GEE WiFi number by using Connection Manager. Just type 192.168.1.1 into your browser (password/user name is admin) and use the SMS message sending feature
Call our Content Lock service
- call us on 1818 from the EE device on which you want to remove or re-apply Content Lock. You can also check what your setting is
Please note: If you want to turn Content Lock off you will again need to complete a simple credit card age verification check.
Just visit an EE store with any of the following approved photo ID – passport, full driver’s licence (photo and paper), EU card or citizen card.
If none of the above methods works call us on 150. Charges may apply. 4GEE WiFi and tablet customers can call us on 08454 123662 from any other device.
- if you try to access 18-rated content and Content Lock is not turned off, a blocking page will be displayed, you will need to complete a credit card age verification check using the online form to view the content
- if you're a Corporate or Business user, you may not have the permissions required to change the settings and will need to contact your account manager
- Content Lock does not work when accessing the internet using third party WiFi networks. That's because it only works on EE's mobile networks
- when you change your Content Lock settings, a £2 charge will be applied to your credit card and then re-credited immediately. This is to ensure the credit card is valid and being used by someone over 18. The words “Content Lock removed” will appear on your credit card bill
Important information for parents
Be careful if your child is given a second-hand phone and SIM card or you have moved over to a new network. It's always best to call 1818 and check the settings so you can have peace of mind that your children are protected.
If your child is using a device connected by 4GEE WiFi make sure the correct setting of Content Lock is applied to the 4GEE WiFi.
Some content, such as apps and encrypted secure sites may contain adult material that will not be blocked by Content Lock, so it is important for parents to stay aware of their child's internet use.
Find out more information on EE Home Broadband customer parental control.