Follow our step-by-step guides to help you get up and running with EE.
Bright Box router - change security to WEP
If you're using a wireless adapter or software that doesn't support WPA security, it's possible to change settings on your router so that it supports WEP.
Where possible, we always recommend that you update your computer's operating system or wireless software so that it supports WPA. This gives improved security (and speeds if you have a wireless n adapter).
This guide will show you how to set up an additional wireless network on your router using WEP security. This means that you won't have to reconnect other devices you've already connected to your router.
- From a computer connected to your Bright Box router, go to 192.168.1.1 (opens in a new tab or window)
- The router's LOGIN SCREEN will open
- Enter the username and password for the admin pages
- The username is admin (all lower case)
- The password can be found on a sticker on your router
- Click LOGIN
- Select BASIC
- Select Wireless Settings, and then SSID Management in the left menu
- The SSID MANAGEMENT page will open
- In the Multiple SSID menu, select 2
- In the Wireless Mode menu, select B+G
- Select and enter the settings below:
- Enable/ Disable Wireless - select Enable
- Enter a Wireless Network Name - we called ours WEP-EE-1a2b3c
- Broadcase SSID - select Enable
- Security - select WEP (if WEP isn't available, remember to change Wireless Mode to B+G)
- WEP mode - select 64-bit
- Key entry method - select HEX
- Default Key - select 1
- Click to tick the Passphrase option
- Enter a passphrase - in the example below we entered PaulsPassword
- Click GENERATE KEY - this will create 4 WEP keys
- Make a note of Key 1 - you'll need this to connect to your new wireless network
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select SAVE SETTINGS
- Your new settings will be saved
- That's it - you can now refresh your computer's wireless software and connect to your new wireless network name