- New digital entertainment offer launching with Wuaki.tv – Europe’s fastest growing video-on-demand streaming service
- All EE, Orange and T-Mobile customers will have access to a £1 film rental every week from the latest blockbusters to a huge library of cinema classics
- The Wuaki.tv service is available on connected devices including smartphones, tablets, laptops, games consoles, Smart TVs and via the app on EE TV
- New reward launched in response to changing customer behaviour with 1 in 3 UK adults now downloading or streaming films and TV every week
London, Wednesday 18 March 2015 – EE, the UK’s most advanced digital communications company, has announced that all new and existing customers – on EE, Orange, T-Mobile and broadband plans – will have access to a blockbuster film rental every week for just £1 with leading digital entertainment streaming service Wuaki.tv. EE Film Club launches on 30 March and forms part of EE’s commitment to put its customers first and become number one for service. Customers will be able to choose from a wide range of films – including new releases – via the Wuaki.tv app and desktop platform across all compatible devices1.
YouGov research, commissioned by EE, shows that the appetite for digital entertainment is growing:
- A third of UK adults who watch films have downloaded or streamed content in the last week
- Over 50 per cent download or stream films and TV every month
- 50 per cent of those streaming digital entertainment content cite ease and convenience as the main reason for choosing to do so – alongside the fact that it offers more control around what the viewer chooses to watch and when they watch it
Pippa Dunn, Chief Marketing Officer at EE, said: “More people than ever before are downloading and streaming movies so they can watch at home or on the go. With 1 in 3 UK adults enjoying digital entertainment every week - and this number is only going to grow - our viewing habits are clearly evolving. This reaffirms our commitment to put customers first as we deliver a series of new offers in 2015. The new weekly £1 film offer launches at the end of March and is set to be a box office hit with our customers.”
Wuaki.tv is Europe’s fastest growing digital entertainment streaming service offering all the latest Film & TV releases every week as well as a huge collection of classic movies and TV shows. It is available as an app and desktop service across a number of connected devices – including smartphones, tablets, games consoles and smart TVs – and users can easily watch mobile content on their main TV via a connected streaming device such as the newly launched EE TV box.
New releases2, HD films, blockbusters and classic movie rentals are all included in the weekly EE customer offer.
Customers can take advantage of the EE £1 film offer each week from 30 March by texting ‘film’ to 141 to receive a promotional code which can be redeemed Monday to Wednesday at the Wuaki.tv check out. Texts cost 35p and users have 48 hours from redemption to watch their film rental.
Vincent Petersen, UK Country Director at Wuaki.tv, said: “Wuaki.tv launched in the UK less than two years ago and we have already seen phenomenal growth in our customer base as mobile device streaming soars. We know that almost a third of our customers already stream their movies to mobile and tablet devices highlighting that EE and Wuaki.tv are perfect partners.”
For more information, please visit www.ee.co.uk/wuaki
For more information about EE please visit www.ee.co.uk.
- ENDS -
Notes to editors:
The offer is available to all customers on EE, Orange, T-Mobile and broadband plans.
1. Wuaki.tv’s content can be streamed to compatible internet-connected PCs, laptops, gaming consoles, tablets, smart phones and Smart TVs. Wuaki.tv content streamed on a mobile, tablet or laptop can easily be connected to a TV using a connected streaming device such as EE TV or Google Chromecast.
2. The majority of new releases and all other film rentals will be available from launch as part of the £1 EE Film Club customer offer
* YouGov poll of 2,000 adults, December 2014
EE is the largest and most advanced digital communications company in Britain, delivering mobile and fixed communications services to consumers, businesses, government and the wholesale market. EE has approximately 15,000 employees and 580 retail stores, and serves more than 30 million customers across its mobile, fixed and wholesale businesses.
EE runs the UK's biggest, fastest and most reliable mobile network, pioneering the UK's first superfast 4G mobile service in October 2012. EE's 4G coverage today reaches 75% of the UK population. EE’s 2G coverage reaches 99% of the population while 3G reaches 98%. EE's superfast fibre broadband service covers 54% of the UK population, and ADSL broadband service covers 98.7% of the population.
In the last few years, EE has received extensive independent recognition including being ranked the UK's best overall network by RootMetrics®, Best network at the 2014 Mobile News Awards, Fastest Network at the 2013 uSwitch Awards, Best Network at the 2014 Mobile Choice Consumer Awards and What Mobile Awards 2013, Network Innovation at the 2013 Recombu awards and Best Network for Business at the 2013 Mobile Industry awards.
Follow us on…
Wuaki.tv is a video-on-demand (VOD) streaming service, offering thousands of hours of high quality movies and TV series for rental and purchase. Wuaki.tv’s extensive catalogue includes content from major Hollywood studios including Warner, Disney, Sony, and Fox, production companies such as HBO, and European distributors, giving consumers access to new releases, blockbusters, classic movies and TV series on the device of their choosing. Wuaki.tv’s content can be streamed to Internet-connected PCs, laptops, gaming consoles, tablets, iPhones, Chromecast and Smart TVs.
Follow us on…
Facebook at: www.facebook.com/uk.wuaki.tv
Twitter at: twitter.com/wuakitvuk
YouTube at: www.youtube.com/user/wuakitvUK