WHAT'S A COMPUTER VIRUS & HOW DO YOU PREVENT THEM?
A computer virus is a program designed to either harm your phone, laptop or tablet, or steal your personal information.
Viruses can be spread by email - when you're sharing files like pictures, or by programs called 'worms' or 'Trojans' passed around the internet. They can make life really awkward so it's worth taking some simple steps to try to avoid them.
How to avoid getting viruses
- Install a firewall. A firewall is a piece of software that acts as a safety barrier between your device and the internet. It can protect your computer from viruses and attacks by people trying to access your personal stuff.
- Install an anti-virus program. Anti-virus software works hand-in-hand with your firewall. It checks anything that's been allowed through the firewall, to make sure it's safe and doesn't contain viruses.
Did you know? EE Home Broadband customers get a year's subscription to Norton 360™ for free.
Other things you can do to keep your device safe from viruses
- Always install the latest software updates
- Backup all your important information from your computer. You can save the copy on a CD, portable hard drive or online. This can help you get all your stuff back if your laptop or tablet gets a virus, or just breaks.
- Don't open files or photos attached to emails if they're from someone you don't recognise. And if you do know who sent the email, still be wary of opening files or photos if you're not sure what they are - they can spread viruses.
If you're unsure about how you can protect your EE devices, pop into your local EE store where our brilliant staff will be happy to help you.
4G in more places than any other network
We're making sure that we provide the biggest 4G coverage for you.
Call and text with WiFi
No signal? No problem! With WiFi Calling you can keep talking and texting even if you don’t have mobile signal.
Investing in our network
We're spending £1.5 million a day to keep improving our network's speed, reliability and call quality.
And ready for the future
We're always one step ahead. We were the first to introduce 4G to the UK, double speed 4GEE and now 4G+.