An Apple ID is the login you use for just about everything you do with Apple, including iCloud to store your content, downloading apps from the App store, buying songs and movies from iTunes, and a whole load more.
You can set up your Apple ID in two ways:
- As a new device - When you activate your device out of the box during the setup process you're given the option to create an Apple ID.
- As a device that is already up and running - If you skipped the Apple ID option during the activation process, you can still create one through the settings.
A new device:
- Select your language, then tap the arrow in the top right of the screen.
- Select your Country, then tap Next.
- Select Enable or Disable Location Services, and tap Next. Location Services allows Maps, Camera and other apps to check where you are, and provide you with a more personalised experience. Using Location Services requires a data connection via WiFi or your network.
- Choose your WiFi Network, enter your password (if required), tap Join, then tap Next.
- Set up iPad as New, tap Next (if you choose to restore from iCloud or iTunes, you already have an Apple ID and will be asked to enter it before continuing).
- Select Create a Free Apple ID.
- Enter your Birthday, tap Next.
- Enter your First Name then Last Name, tap Next.
- Confirm whether you want to use an existing email address or to use a free iCloud email address, tap Next.
- Enter your chosen email address, tap Next (the email address you enter will become your Apple ID).
- Enter a password of your choice and confirm this again in the Verify box, tap Next.
- You now need to add a security question in case you forget your password - choose the question from the list, then tap the answer field and enter the answer, tap Next.
- Confirm whether you want to receive Updates via Email, tap Next.
- You'll now be asked to agree to Apple's Terms and Conditions. To confirm, tap Agree - another screen will then appear asking you once more to agree to the Ts & Cs, again tap Agree.
- Your device will now set up your Apple ID. This may take a few minutes.
- Confirm whether you want to use iCloud, tap Next.
- You'll now be asked if you want to set up your email account on your iPad with Retina display. If you do, then follow the steps. But if you want to set up later, just tap Next, then Skip.
- Select either Use Siri or Don't use Siri, tap Next.
- Select Automatically Send or Don't Send Diagnostics, tap Next (this sends diagnostic and usage data to Apple to help improve its products and services).
That's it, you're all done! Simply tap Start using iPad to start enjoying all the features of your iPad with Retina display.
A device that is already up and running:
- From the home screen, tap Settings.
- Scroll down and select iTunes and App Stores.
- Select Create New Apple ID.
- Ensure UK is showing next to Store, tap Next.
- You'll now be asked to agree to Apple's Terms & Conditions. To confirm, tap Agree. Another screen will then appear asking you once more to agree to the Ts & Cs, again tap Agree.
- Enter your Email address and Password, and confirm your chosen password, then in the Verify box, tap Done.
- Scroll further down the page and choose a security question (just in case you forget your password). Enter the answer in the answer field, tap Done. Now enter your Date of Birth and again tap Done.
- Again, scroll down the page and confirm if you want to subscribe to emails, tap Next.
- Now you need to enter your billing information. This is only required if you choose to buy an app or music - free apps won't incur any charge. Once you've entered the details, tap Next.
- Tap Done. You now need to verify your account by clicking on the link that's on the email Apple has sent to your chosen email address. When you click the link you'll be directed to Apple's website, where you have to input the account details (Email and Password) you created during the set up process. Once you've entered these, select Verify Address.
- Once your address is verified you can then go back to the Store login screen on your device and enter your email address and password, then select Sign In.
That's it - your Apple ID is created.
You can now choose to automatically download any purchases you make on an iPad with Retina display or any other Apple device you may have, so all your Apple Products are synced. All you need to do is slide the Music or Apps selection to On.
Note: All your Apple devices must be using the same Apple ID for this to work).