An Apple ID is the login you use for just about everything you do with Apple, including iCloud to store your content, downloading apps from the App store, buying songs, movies as well as a whole load more.
You can setup your Apple ID in two ways:
- As a new device - When you activate your device out of the box during the setup process you are given the option to create an Apple ID.
- A device that is already up and running - If you skipped the Apple ID option during the activation process you can still create one through the settings.
As a new devicedevice
- Select your language, tap the arrow in the top right of the screen.
- Select your Country or Region.
- Choose your WiFi Network, enter your password (if required), tap Join.
- Enable or Disable Location Services,
Location Services allows Maps, Camera and other apps to use your location to provide you with a more personal experience. Using this function does require a data connection via WiFi or your network.
- Set up as New iPhone, (if you choose to restore from iCloud or iTunes you already have an Apple ID and will be asked to enter it before continuing).
- Select Create a Free Apple ID.
- Enter your Birthday.
- Enter your First Name then Last Name.
- Confirm if you wish to use and existing email address or to use a free iCloud email address.
- Enter your chosen email address (the email address you enter will become your Apple ID).
- Enter a password of your choice and confirm this again in the Verify box.
- You now need to add a security question in case you forget your password, choose the question from the list then Tap the answer field and enter the answer.
- Confirm if you wish to receive Updates via Email.
- You will now be asked to Agree to Apple's Terms and Conditions, to confirm tap Agree, another screen will then appear asking you once more to agree to the Ts & Cs, again tap Agree.
- Your device will now set up your Apple ID, this may take a few minutes.
- Confirm if you wish to setup a Passcode for security, if not you can press Dont Add Passcode.
- Select either Use Siri or Don't use Siri.
- Automatically Send or Don't Send Diagnostics (this sends diagnostic and usage data to Apple to help improve its products and services).
- That it, all done! tap Get Started to start enjoying your device.
A device that is already up and runningunning
- From the home screen, tap Settings.
- Scroll down and select iTunes and App Stores.
- Select Create New Apple ID.
- Ensure UK is showing next to Store, tap Next.
- You will now be asked to agree to Apple's Terms & Conditions, to confirm tap Agree, another screen will then appear asking you once more to agree to the T's & C's, again tap Agree.
- Enter your Email address, Password and confirm your chosen password in the Verify Box, tap Done.
- Scroll further down the page and choose a security question, (in case you forget your password). Enter the answer in the answer field, tap Done. Now enter your Date of Birth and again tap Done.
- Again scroll down the page and confirm if you wish to subscribe to emails, tap Next.
- Now you need to enter your billing information, this is only required if you choose to purchase an App or music, free Apps would not incur any charge. Once you have entered the details, tap Next.
- Tap Done, You now need to verify your account by clicking on the link that is on the email Apple has sent to your chosen email address, when you click the link you will be directed to Apple's website where you have to input the account details (Email and Password) you created during the set up process, once entered select Verify Address.
- Once verified you can then go back to the Store login screen on your device and enter your email address and password, select Sign In.
- That's it! You can now choose to automatically download any purchases made by this device or any other Apple device you may have, so all your Apple Products are synced. All you need to do is slide the Music or Apps selection to On. (Note: All devices must be using the same Apple ID for this to work).