How roaming data add-ons work
You can only buy a standard roaming data add-on when you arrive abroad and with EE you’ll only ever be charged for the data you choose so there’s no chance of an unexpected bill.
Depending on the country you’re visiting, you buy an add-on using the browser your phone or by sending us a text message. You’ll get full details in the text message you receive from EE when you switch your phone on abroad.
Once you’ve bought a standard roaming data add-on, you’ll be able to get online and use apps while you’re abroad. It’s easy to keep track of how much data you’ve got left and how long you’ve got left to use it too. Just browse to add-on.ee.co.uk/status on your EE device.
There’s a range of add-ons available to suit what you want to do online.
With all our roaming data add-ons you also get access to 4G on 80 networks abroad and growing. Just make sure you have 4G switched on in your device settings.
Do I have roaming data included in my plan?
Some plans come with EU roaming data included in the price plan, so you may not need a roaming add-on until you have used up this data. Plans that include roaming data are:
- 4GEE Plans (from 17 August 2016) – 4GEE Plans have 500MB of EU roaming data each month
- 4GEE Max Plans (from 17 August 2016) - With 4GEE Max Plans you can use you UK allowance in the EU. E.G. if you have 7GB in your plan you can use all of this abroad in the EU (subject to a 15GB fair usage policy
- 4GEE WiFi/Tablet Extra Plans - If you have 4GEE WiFi, or a tablet on an EE Extra Plan, we're giving you 100MB of free EU roaming data each month for you to use in the EU.
On all of these plans once you've used your inclusive data up, we won't start charging - we'll just ask if you want to buy another roaming add-on.
Why do I need a roaming data add-on?
With a roaming data add-on, you can't run up a big bill using the internet abroad because you’ll only ever be charged for the data add-ons you choose. We'll get in touch when the add-on runs out, and give you the option to buy another.
If you don't buy a roaming data add-on, you simply won't be able to use the mobile network to access the internet while you're abroad and you won’t be charged a penny.
Which roaming data add-on to choose
If you’re travelling in Europe and/or other popular Rest of the World destinations, then our best value pass is the Travel Data Pass. It gives you 500MB of data a day for £3 in our Europe Zone, £4 in the USA & Canada and £5 in nine other countries - Turkey, Australia, New Zealand, UAE, India, Thailand, Mexico, South Africa and China.
Other passes just for Europe are the Euro Pass which includes 500MB of data a day plus unlimited calls and texts for £4 a day – or the £1 Euro Data Pass, which gives you 50MB of data for a fixed fee of £1 a day.
If these aren’t for you, you can choose one of our standard roaming data add-ons. Use our roaming tool to check out all the options.
How to get a roaming data add-on
Before you go or while you're abroad:
- Travel Data Pass – text TRAVEL to 150
- £1 Euro Data Pass - text EURO to 150
- Euro Pass - text EUROPASS to 150
If you're travelling outside Europe and the countries listed above, use our roaming tool to check out the roaming costs and options for your destination.
Some tips about using data
- Streaming videos or music, playing online games, and uploading or downloading files all use lots of data. It can eat through your roaming data add-on really quickly
- To keep your data use down while you're abroad, just do simple things like checking Facebook once a day or looking up an important football score
- Lots of apps use mobile data in the background even when you’re not using them. To get the most out of your data add-on, check your device’s settings for which apps can use data in the background.