All about Parental Controls with EE TV
Parental controls (content locks) with EE, helps you to protect your family from films and programmes that are unsuitable for them watch. Select the play button to watch our video, or follow our guide to learn all about parental controls.
With EE TV's simple set up and menu system, it's easy to make sure the younger members of your household watch programmes that are appropriate for them.
- what do content locks do?
- what does watershed and Parental Guidance mean?
- how to watch locked content?
- how to open LOCKS settings
- how to change LOCKS settings
- how to hide channels
- how to lock On Demand apps
- how to modify your PIN
With EE TV content locks (parental control) turned on, your EE TV will:
- lock TV programmes with guidance (PG)
- hide adult channels
- lock TV programmes recorded under watershed (that's programmes shown after 9pm and before 5.30am that are considered unsuitable for children)
You can also choose to:
- hide and lock additional channels
- lock apps like BBC iPlayer
Watershed is the time after which programmes regarded as unsuitable for children are broadcast on television. The watershed is currently between 9pm and before 5.30am.
Guidance (or Parental Guidance) is a classification defined by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) to provide information about the content of programmes. You can find more information on the BBFC website.
When you select to watch locked content:
- The lock screen will display.
- To watch the programme, press OK on your remote.
- Enter your EE TV PIN.
- Press the down arrow and OK to confirm.
- You chose this when you first set up your EE TV. If you've lost your PIN, get in touch - we'll be happy to help.
- Your programme will display.
- To turn content locks back on, simply press the MENU button on your remote.
You'll find your LOCKS settings in your SETTINGS Menu.
- Press the MENU button on your EE TV remote.
- Press the up arrow on your remote (that's the one above OK) to highlight the top menu.
- Move over to TOOLS & HELP by pressing the right arrow on your remote.
- Press the down and right arrow to highlight SETTINGS and press OK.
- The settings screen will appear.
- Move right to LOCKS.
- Type in your PIN and then press OK to CONTINUE.
- From here you'll find your EE TV parental control settings.
TIP: If you get the error This PIN is incorrect, try entering it again. If you've forgotten your PIN, get in touch - we'll be happy to help.
From LOCKS you can change your parental control settings:
- lock TV programmes with Guidance - you'll be prompted for your PIN if the broadcaster suggests the content has guidance
- hide adult TV channels
- lock TV programmes recorded under watershed (21.00 - 5.30)
- view a list of TV channels locked & hidden and add and remove channels from the list
- lock Apps - i.e. BBC iPlayer and Demand5
- modify PIN
From LOCKS, you can hide more channels from your EE TV menu. To do this:
- Open LOCKS.
- Press the down arrow on your remote to highlight TV channels locked & hidden and press OK.
- Using the up, down, left and right arrows, highlight the channels that you want to hide and press OK to lock.
- Now use the down arrow to highlight CONFIRM and press OK.
When you hide a channel, it is removed from all menu's and your TV Guide. To watch the channel, simply enter the channel number on your remote while watching live TV. A screen will appear telling you that the channel is locked and ask you to enter your PIN to unlock it.
To lock On Demand apps (i.e. BBC iPlayer or Demand5) on your EE TV:
- From LOCKS, press the down arrow on your remote to highlight 0 Apps locked.
- Press OK.
- Press down to highlight the app you want to lock.
- Press OK - a lock icon will display next to the app.
- Press down to highlight CONFIRM and press OK.
If you'd like to change your PIN, for example if you think somebody has guessed your number:
- Press the down arrow to highlight Modify PIN and press OK.
- Type in your new PIN.
- Confirm your PIN and press OK to continue.
- Your PIN will be changed.