4G Calling is now available across the whole of the EE 4G network.
Stay Superfast - with 4G Calling (also known as VoLTE), when you make or receive a phone call, your phone will stay on 4G. That means you can use data at 4G speeds even when you're on a call. Sounds simple, but you’d be surprised how few mobile providers will let you do this.
The big benefit is your internet doesn’t slow down on a call. Using Google Maps on hands-free? Your maps will stay superfast.
Seamless switching – if you’re using WiFi Calling, 4G Calling helps make the switch to our mobile network as your calls can now seamlessly handover between WiFi and 4G.
Clearer calls – 4G Calling means your calls now go over the 4G network, which makes them crystal clear between compatible phones.
Call in more places – we’re expanding our 4G network to cover 95% of the UK landmass. Combined with 4G Calling, it means you’ll be able to make calls in places you couldn’t before. Check 4G coverage here >
- Who can get 4G Calling
To use 4G Calling, make sure all of the following apply to you:
- you have an EE pay monthly plan or small business or large business 4GEE plan
- you purchased one of the below phone models either directly or indirectly:
- Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7 or 7 Plus
- Google Pixel, Pixel XL
- Huawei P10, P10 Lite, P10 Plus, P8 Lite (2017)
- BlackBerry Priv, Dtek 50
- you purchased one of the below phone models directly from EE in one of our stores, online at ee.co.uk, or through our telesales team:
- Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, A3 (2017), A5 (2017)
- Sony Xperia XA1, XZ, X, XA, X Compact, Z5, Z5 Premium and Z5 Compact
- Microsoft Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL
- HTC 10
- LG G6, G5, G5 SE, X Cam, K8 (2017), K10 (2017)
- you've updated to the latest software version:
- iOS: Settings > General > Software Update
- Android: Settings > About Device > Software update (software update menu option can differ per manufacturer)
- Windows: Settings > Update & security > Phone update > Check for Updates
- Please note: If you can’t find the necessary update option please check your device Help page for specific instructions on how to check for software updates and ensure you’re running the latest version
- you're in an area with EE 4G coverage
Sorry, but 4G Calling isn't available if you're on pay as you go, T-Mobile or Orange.
- Costs and data allowances
There's no additional cost for the 4G Calling service – it's an inclusive feature of our pay monthly and small business plans.
Calls and texts come out of your monthly allowances as normal and anything out of allowance is charged at standard rates.
- How to switch on 4G Calling
4G Calling is enabled automatically on all compatible iPhones running iOS 10.2 or above and the latest Carrier File - that means you don’t need to do anything.
For older versions of iOS, to toggle the service on for your iPhone, follow these steps:
iOS 9.2 - Settings > Mobile Data > Enable 4G
iOS 9.3 to 10.1.1 - Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Enable 4G and then Voice & Data
Large business customers require iOS 9.3 or above and Carrier File 24.1 or above.
For all other compatible phones, the setting is switched on by default.
- More help with 4G Calling
How to make a call
Just dial or text as normal.
How to tell if you're using 4G Calling
You'll continue to see the 4G network indicator at the top of your screen while you're making a call and your phone will continue to benefit from 4G speeds.
Sorry, but 4G Calling doesn’t work while you're roaming. But don’t worry - you'll still be able to make calls over 3G and 2G as normal.
Calling other networks
You can still call anyone, anywhere just as normal.