What do I need to do when I get a new SIM?
Here’s what to do when you get sent a new SIM:
- pop the SIM into your device
- activate your new SIM - you only need to do this if you’ve upgraded and been sent a new SIM, or ordered a new one because your old one no longer fitted your device
- wait for a signal and the EE symbol to appear on your screen - this can take up to 24 hours but is usually much quicker
And you’re all set up! We won’t even send an activation text, just a few network updates.
Advice for Apple users
If you’re using an Apple device, you may also need to refresh iMessage so it connects with the right number. Just:
- go to Settings > Messages
- turn iMessage off, wait 10 seconds and turn iMessage on again
- go to Settings > Phone and make sure My Number shows your correct mobile number
- tap My Number and type in your correct number if the above steps don’t work
What information do I need if I have to activate my SIM?
You’ll only need to activate your SIM if:
- you’ve upgraded and been sent a new SIM
- ordered a new SIM because your old one was the wrong size for your device
If that’s you, we’ll ask for three things:
- the reason you’ve got a new SIM
- your current phone number, so we can text you a security PIN
- the serial number of your new SIM - you can find this on the back of the SIM, or under the barcode on the letter we sent with your new SIM
And that’s it!