What is Spend Cap and how does it work?
A Spend Cap allows you to restrict your mobile usage outside of your monthly price plan. Adding one to your account limits usage of certain services like roaming, picture messages and international calls so that you can stay in control of your bill. Plus if you're close to reaching your cap, we'll send you a text to let you know.
You can change your Spend Cap at any time to increase or decrease the level of restrictions on your account. An increase will take effect immediately and a decrease will take effect at the start of your next billing month.
How much does a Spend Cap cost?
Spend Caps are free of charge and are completely optional. You can choose not to set a Spend Cap and have no restrictions on your usage. Alternatively you can restrict usage outside of your monthly allowance to £50, £40, £30, £20, £10 or completely restrict your additional usage with a £0 Spend Cap.
What options do I have to restrict my usage?
You can choose to not set a Spend Cap and have no restrictions. Alternatively you can restrict usage outside of your monthly data allowance to £50, £40, £30, £20, £10 or choose to completely restrict your additional usage with a £0 Spend Cap.
If I choose to restrict my usage, what does it restrict?
You can add a Spend Cap to your account on some of our chargeable services.
Charges that you can restrict:
- out of allowance calls, texts and picture messages to standard UK and EU numbers.
- EU Roaming £2.29 per day charge (on plans starting after 7 July 2021).
- out of allowance calls and messages abroad from the UK (IDD).
- access charges for premium calls and texts to numbers beginning with 09, 118, 083, 084, 085, 087, 070 (if not covered by an allowance or an add-on).
- call divert charges, calls via text relay, calls to 123, calls to bypass services 07744 and 07755, paging services, and calls to 101 non-emergency numbers.
- calls to satellite numbers.
- aeroplane and maritime calls and messaging.
Charges that aren’t restricted:
- data pass purchases, both whilst in the UK and roaming.
- data charges and run-on rates if you’ve exhausted your data allowance or data pass.
- add on purchases such as Apple Music, or add-ons for extra minutes or texts. For use in the UK or abroad monthly plan charges (Price Plan).
- service charges for premium calls and texts to numbers beginning with 09, 118, 083 084, 085, 087, 070 (if not covered by an allowance or an add-on) - read this article for more on service charges.
- charge to bill, for example: Digital Content, Music Subscription Services, in-app purchases.
- voice short codes (5-digit numbers).
- premium rate texts you receive.
- admin charges or late payment fees.
- insurance for your device purchased through EE.
However you can control how much you spend on our chargeable services that aren't included in Spend Cap by managing your account in EE online.
Who can use Spend Cap to restrict their usage?
Only pay monthly customers that have joined or upgraded on or after 1 October 2018 can add a Spend Cap to their account. If your current pay monthly contract started before this date, you can still set up other controls within EE online:
- log in to the EE app and go to Home > Plans > Settings > Parental controls
- log in to ee.co.uk and go to Home > Plans and subscriptions > Mobile > Parental controls
How does EU roaming affect my Spend Cap?
If you’re on plan that started after 7th July 2021, it costs £2.29 a day to use your plan's minutes, texts, and data allowances like you would at home.
This £2.29 per day charge counts towards your Spend Cap. If you reach it, we’ll automatically block usage to prevent unwanted charges.
Check your Spend Cap as you may need to increase it.
How do I add a Spend Cap to my number?
It's easy to add a Spend Cap to your account:
What happens if I'm close to, or reach my cap?
We'll text you when you reach 80% of your cap and again at 100% to let you know.
Once you’ve reached 100% of your cap, you’ll be barred from using some of our out of bundle services until the start of your next billing month. Also, you will be unable to make a call if the first minute of the call will exceed your Spend Cap limit.
The experience will vary depending when you reach the Spend Cap limit on the service being used, and if you have reached your Spend cap limit. We will notify you by text message to let you know what has happened and why.
During a call - If the next minute of the call will exceed your spend cap limit, you will hear a audible warning a your call will be disconnected.
Making a call – If the first minute of the call would exceed your spend cap, you won’t be able to make the call.
How can I change how much I restrict my usage by?
You can change, pause or remove a Spend Cap at any time:
- on the EE app go to Mobile Plan > Settings > Spend Cap
- log in to EE and go to Account Settings > Manage your Plan > Spend Cap
- text SPEND CAP to 150
- call 150 from your EE phone
If you change your cap, an increase will be applied immediately and a decrease will be applied at the start of your next billing month.
If you pause your cap, it will be removed straight away from your account but will be automatically added again at the start of your next billing month.
If you remove your cap, it will be removed straight away and you’ll be charged for all of the out of bundle services that you use with immediate effect.
Can I change my cap abroad?
Yes, you can change your cap from anywhere:
How often can I change my cap?
You can change your cap whenever you want.
An increase to your cap will be applied instantly.
A decrease will be applied at the start of your next billing month.
Can I add a different Spend Cap for each of my numbers?
You can add different Spend Caps to different numbers. You can even have one number with no cap and the rest with a Spend Cap.
Why aren't we including add-on purchases in the Spend Caps?
When you purchase an add-on, we always ask you to confirm before you buy it. You can always disable or enable data pass purchases in EE online.
- log in to EE
- select the Controls tab
- you can then select which data pass you wish to disable or enable
Why doesn't Spend Cap cover all third party charges?
When you pay for third party service charges through your mobile bill, they’re not provided by EE and we pass these payments on to the service providers. They usually include things like subscriptions or content platforms.
Why do I have a Spend Cap on my account?
Spend Caps are optional and are usually added when joining or upgrading, but can be added after you’ve joined us. If you don’t recall adding it then it may have been added at a later date – either via the EE App, text services or through customer services on a call.
I can’t make a call/send a text. What do I need to do?
If you have a Spend Cap and can't make a call or send a message, or are disconnected from a call it may be because:
- you have reached your Spend Cap and do not have any Spend Cap allowance remaining to cover the cost of the call or message
- you are close to your Spend Cap and do not have enough Spend Cap remaining to cover the cost of your call or message.
We will send you a text message if this happens but asking the account password holder to increase or remove the Spend Cap will enable you to continue using your phone for the remainder of your bill month.