Set up Smart WiFi wirelessly using the EE app
Identify your hub from these options and then follow the instructions in this article or on the app.
Set up Smart WiFi wirelessly without the EE app
- Plug your Smart WiFi device into a socket near your hub.
- Switch it on and wait for a red light to appear.
- To pair your Smart WiFi device and hub, press the WPS button on your router and then the WPS button on the back of your Smart WiFi device right away (within 2 minutes).
- Pairing can take up to 5 minutes.
- When your devices are paired, the light on your Smart WiFi device will turn solid blue or aqua.
- Unplug your Smart WiFi device.
- Move it to a place halfway between your router and the part of your home where you want the WiFi to be stronger.
Set up Smart WiFi using Ethernet
You can connect your devices using an Ethernet cable. You'll find one in your router box and another in your Smart WiFi box.
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into a yellow port on the back of the router.
- Plug the other end into your Smart WiFi device.
- The light on the Smart WiFi will start flashing and after a couple of minutes it will turn solid blue or solid aqua.
- Unplug the cable. The light will change to flashing red and will go back to solid blue or solid aqua in a few seconds.
- Unplug the Smart WiFi device from the mains.
- Move it to a place halfway between your router and the part of your home where you want your WiFi to be stronger.
Where to put your Smart WiFi device
You'll find a location checker in the EE Home app and EE app. It will help find the best home for your Smart WiFi device.
Or, just put your Smart WiFi halfway between the hub and the location in your home that has poor WiFi. You may want to move it after set-up if your speeds are slow.
What the lights mean on your Smart WiFi device
The lights on your Smart WiFi device will tell you if it is set up correctly and if there are any problems later on. Find out what the lights mean.
Find your admin password
You'll need your admin password to access the settings for your router and Smart WiFi. Often you'll also need it to set up Smart WiFi using the apps. You'll find it on the router's wireless card settings, which is on the back of your router.
Change your wireless network's name and password
If you have a Smart Hub or Smart Hub Plus:
- Open the EE app.
- Select WiFi Controls from the Home screen.
- On the dashboard tap the Smart Hub tile.
- Select the three dots in the right-hand corner.
- Tap Change WiFi Settings.
- Enter your new password and tap Save.
If you have our Smart Router:
- Open the EE Home app.
- Go to Smart WiFi then Manage your WiFi settings.
- Tap Change your WiFi name and password.
- Enter the new network name and/or password and tap Save.
When you change your old password, remember to pop the new one into your phone and other devices.