Mobile CPI+ price changes

In this article

CPI+3.9% will impact any contract that started from 1 September 2020, and some out-of-bundle charges and add-ons.

What is CPI+3.9%?

What is CPI+3.9%?

CPI+3.9% is the Consumer Price Index (CPI) with an additional 3.9% added by us. CPI is a measure of the rate of inflation – this is the change in prices for goods and services over time. It is based on household spending in the National Accounts. 

A new rate is published every month. We’re using the December 2020 figure published in January 2021 - this rate is 0.6% for CPI. This, plus the additional 3.9%, totals a 4.5% increase to your plan. You'll see this change on your bill on or after 31 March 2021.

> Find out more about CPI from the Office of National Statistics

CPI+3.9% calculator

CPI+3.9% calculator

If you’d like to work out the estimated increase to any of the plans on your account, use our handy price calculator. 

Your estimated new monthly plan price will be

With VAT:

Without VAT:

FAQs

FAQs

How have you calculated the increases on my plan?

As per your terms, we've used the CPI rate of inflation, plus an additional 3.9% to calculate the increase to your plan(s). The change to your plan's price is calculated by adding this percentage on top of what you previously paid. 

The change to the price you pay for your plan(s) will take into account any discounts you get. A higher price increase may be incurred if your discounts expire and your monthly price plan goes up before 31 March 2021. You can log into MyEE to see more information on your price plan.

Some add-ons and out-of-bundle charges will also be increasing in line with the CPI+3.9% rate. All add-ons and out-of-bundle charges can be found here.

Why are you increasing my prices?

RPI and CPI rates help us keep your price plans in line with inflation.* 

The CPI+3.9% rate has been introduced to allow us to continue to invest in and improve connectivity and customer services.

*We are moving away from RPI as CPI is considered a more reliable rate of inflation. We introduced it in our terms and conditions from 1 September 2020.

What is the difference between RPI and CPI?

Both RPI and CPI are measures of inflation - this is the change in prices for goods and services over time. Each has a different value as they are calculated using different tools and measure different things. For example, RPI considers the cost of housing through measures like council tax and mortgage interest payments, whereas CPI does not. CPI weightings are based on household spending in the National Accounts while RPI weightings are based on Food Survey and Office of National Statistics expenditure.

We are moving away from using RPI to calculate our price increases as CPI is now more commonly used as a measure of inflation in the UK. On 1 September 2020, we introduced new terms and conditions across the BT group (which EE is part of). This means that customers who join or upgrade from this date will receive an annual price increase in line with CPI (0.6%) plus an additional 3.9% added by us (totalling 4.5%). 

There's lots more information on RPI and CPI on the Office for National Statistics' website. 

What is an add-on?

An add-on is a package of minutes, messages, data or services you can buy. Some of our mobile add-ons will be increasing in line with CPI+3.9%.

You can find details of any active add-ons on your latest EE bill or on MyEE.

What is an out-of-bundle charge?

As part of your price plan, you'll get a call, text and data allowance. There are restrictions on where and how you use these.

When you go over these limits, you'll be charged according to our standard rates. These are out-of-bundle charges and some of them will be increasing in line with CPI+3.9%.

Thanks for your feedback

 
Give us a call
Give us a call
Call now
150
Free to pay monthly
25p per call on pay as you go
Open
Closed
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: 08:00-20:00
Mon to Fri
Sat
Sun
Ask the Community
Ask the Community
Ask questions and share tips with other people 24 hours a day
Book an appointment
Book an appointment
You can book a phone appointment with one of our local experts.
Something went wrong. Please try again later We cannot identify your location. Please enter your postcode below
Finding you
Open Mon to Sat
Open Sun
Need more help